Hoi An Photo Walks (the trade name of Photo Voyager in Hoi An) started Vietnam’s first smartphone tour in 2016.
Why go on a smartphone tour?
A smartphone has a camera and therefore many aspects of photography are the same. What is on your screen and when do you push the button. Yes, you have less control and the image quality is inferior compared to the “real” cameras, but for many purposes it is good enough or even excellent. Other advantages:
- It is always in your pocket, it weighs almost nothing.
- Instead of thinking about settings and which lens to use, you only need to worry about the image. Huge advantage.
- Smartphones are much handier for close-up photos.
- The big screen makes it a lot more easy to see what you are doing and your subjects will enjoy looking at the images together with you.
- Smartphones are everywhere, so when you use it nobody will stare at your camera gear.
It is much easier to blend in with the Vietnamese culture and shoot the images that really matter. And local life is what you will get and you will be surprised how far we can stretch this. And of course I give you guidance on how to get away with the best photos. Joining the smartphone tour would be a good way to improve your precious memories.